Re: Chrome Strip for Windscreen

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chrome Strip for Windscreen
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 06:50:49 +0100
In article <4.2.2.20010526191823.0269e560@dougbraun.com>, Douglas Braun
& Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com> writes
>The factory manual has a diagram of a special tool that sort
>of looks like a crochet hook.  It gives very detailed dimensions
>of the handle, and less detailed dimensions for the working end.
>Then it gives almost no information on how to actually use it.

<g>

>You need:
>
>1: Patience
>2: Lubrication

What do you recommend as a lubricant?   Petroleum Jelly springs to mind,
but is there anything better?   Would you suggest applying the lubricant
to the rubber, or the chrome, or both?

>I took off half of my chrome strip once, and managed to get it
>back on.  I can't remember a "secret", except to
>have patience and understand how everything fits together.

I'm fairly sure I understand how it is all supposed to fit together, and
I can manage patience on a good day, so will give this a go myself.

>If the rubber lip on the seal that holds the metal strip
>is old and messed up, it might be a wise idea to replace the rubber.

The seal is practically new, and appears to be in perfect condition - it
was replaced a couple of years ago by the DPO, who kept the car in the
garage for most of the year.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"