Re: Oil filters

To: BillG <wrgingerich@qwest.net>, Spitlist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil filters
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:17:25 -0700 (PDT)
Here's a question:
In order for the oil to drain out of the filter, it
must be replaced by an equal volume of air (since oil
is largely incompressible).
So where does the air come from? The pressure side of
the filter from the pump is filled with oil, the gears
in the pump block the path, and the inlet is submerged
below the surface of the oil in the sump. The outlet
side of the filter is also filled with oil, which runs
over around and through the oil galleys, and out to
the bearings. The bearings are fitted with clearances
of only a few thousandths of an inch.

Seems to me that gap between the the bearings and
journals provide the only path by which air could
enter the system. Given the viscosity of oil, it's
affinity for sticking to metal surfaces, and the
tortuous path that it must traverse, I wonder how much
of an issue this is.

I've removed filters from motors that have sat for
years, full of (ugly dirty) oil.

IMWTK

Carter

(Inquiring Minds Want To Know)

--- BillG <wrgingerich@qwest.net> wrote:

> Greetings, Fellow Listers,
>
> Got a question about Spitfire oil filters.  I've
> seen many references to
> buying filters with a check valve.  I understand the
> reasoning, ....
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

///