Re: Oil filters

To: BillG <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Oil filters
From: Atwell Haines <karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:43:12 -0400
Hi Bill,

At 05:15 PM 5/23/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>  I've seen many references to
>buying filters with a check valve.  I understand the reasoning, but am not
>sure how to tell if my filters have it.  I've bought filters from Spitbits,
>Moss, VB, and my local parts house.  Sorry - can't remember all the filter
>brands.  Short of filling it with oil and turning it upside down, how do I
>know?

You have to take the manufacturers word on it.  For descriptions of the
valves in several brands of oil filters, see

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

Even the best filters are not made to hold the oil in the filter for more
than a few hours, though.  So keep your oil fresh and run the car every
week or two if you can -- the oil film coating the inside of the engine
will last at least that long!

Also, for cars driven only a few thousand miles a year, consider using the
smaller filters that the air-pump equipped Spits use.  (I'm using the Wix
51374, cross ref to a Dodge V6 or Volvo)  Theory is that the smaller "can"
takes less time for the oil pump to fill up during engine starts.  Easier
to maneuver into place also.

(The small filter saves weight too --- which makes your Spitfire faster!) ;-)

Atwell "half a quart down" Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

///