RE: Weber DGV venting the crankcase

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Weber DGV venting the crankcase
From: "Paul Fjelstad" <fjelstad@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:24:53 -0700
I've been following the venting discussion on the list, as well as
discussing it a bit off-list. This is a very timely issue for me, as it
seems to be for many others, since I installed a new DGV two weeks ago.
Anyway, I just spoke with my mechanic about the issue -- for me it's oil
vapor coming from the valve cover outlet and condensing in the DGV air
filter -- and he suggested a solution that I don't recall hearing before:

He said that, when this has happened before on other Spits, he has put some
fine mesh or steel wool inside the valve cover where the outlet is. This
material filters the oil droplets and they drip back down where they're
supposed to be, while the (much cleaner) air continues on its way through
the hose and into the air filter. This sounds too good to be true (and yet a
guy can hope). Has anyone tried a solution like this?

Paul
1980 1500

///