RE: Dealing with pressure - or lack thereof

To: "'Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou'" <doug@dougbraun.com>,
Subject: RE: Dealing with pressure - or lack thereof
From: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 12:33:31 -0400
All,

Two things that help in this situation (to my understanding) are synthetics,
and oil coolers.

An oil cooler will keep the oil cooler and thicker, resulting in a higher
pressure when warm.  A synthetic oil flows better as it is slipperyer (is
that a word) than conventional oil.  As such,  you get increased flow for a
given pressure.  WHen I was breaking my engine in after the rebuild,  I used
20W50 for about 3K miles.  Then I switched to Castrol 5W50 Syntec (for the
winter).  I saw an IMMEDIATE 10 psi drop in oil pressure.  Now I get 25 psi
warm and 80 psi cold.  That's because there's less resistance to the
slipperyer (is that a word) oil for the same flow rate.

I do not have a cooler yet (well,  I have the parts, but I didn't install
them yet), so I expect my warm (hot) pressure to increase a bit when I do.

On a side note,  does anyone know of a remote oil filter setup for the 1500
block?  I'm tired of coating the engine with oil every time I change the
filter.  I'd like to install it away from the engine,  where it can drip
right into a bucket.

Michael
'78 Midget