Re: I knew there'd be more . . .

To: BrYarboro <BrYarboro@aol.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I knew there'd be more . . .
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 15 May 2001 06:33:02 -0500
Brian,

If you are 'pretty mechanically inclined', you should be able to do your
 half-shaft UJs - there's nothing exceptionally tricky in there, your biggest
 problems are likely to be nuts on your suspension that don't want to undo, and
 UJ bearing cups that don't feel like being pressed out of their housings.  You
 will need a big, strong, vice to press your bearing cups out with, otherwise
 nothing beyond the usual range of spanners, sockets and a torque wrench.  I
 have written up the procedure and placed it on Jeff McNeal's Totally Triumph
 Garage, Member Generated How-To Clinics section
 (http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID45&con
f=DCConfID7).  Drop me a line if anything is not totally clear there.

Since you will have most of the rear suspension apart to do this job anyway,
 you might as well re-bush while you are in there.  Whenever I take anything
 apart, I have a principle of always trying to replace any rubber bit, and all
 nuts, bolts and washers, with new items while I am there.  It costs hardly
 anything, and then you know it is sound and won't need doing again.  With new
 nuts and  bolts you know the threads are good, and that they will have a
 better chance of coming undone if you ever need to go in there again!

UJs in the UK cost around 7 pounds ($11) each, so replacing them is not a big
 money job.  I'm not in the US, so I can't advise on sources!  Should take 1 -
 1 1/2 hours each side if everything comes apart easily, but that never
 happens, so budget on 2 - 2 1/2 hours!

Richard & Daffy

///