Re: transmission rebuild kit

To: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
Subject: Re: transmission rebuild kit
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 16:05:41 -0400
Hi Chuck.

I just completed the rebuild of my tranny. The kit I bought from Rimmers was
pretty complete, including all the gaskets. It included four synchro rings, the
big bearings for the input shaft, main shaft and rear extension. It also
included the small caged roller bearing for the main shaft, a new lay shaft and
the needle rollers for the lay shaft (50 pieces). The one thing this kit does
include that may be missing from other is a clip that goes on the main shaft
that is not re-useable. Be sure it is included in your order. Vicky Brit sells a
kit but it doesn't include the clip. I bet SpitBits may have the right stuff.
Anyone know for sure?

There are no thrust washers included in these kits. The thrust washer must be
matched to the gear box casing. Luckily, mine measured within specs so I didn't
have to scurry around finding thrust washers.

If you have any questions on the rebuild, I would be happy to help. This is one
of the projects I was going to post on my web page, but I don't know when I'll
get to it.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario

http://www.vicwhit.com

Chuck Pedretti wrote:

> I've just purchase a spare transmission for my wife's 70 spitfire.  I plan
> to rebuild and swap it in, the current unit has a bad 3rd gear syncro.
> Here's the question, do any of the suppliers sell a master rebuild kit, with
> all the bearings, thrustwashers, syncros and gaskets?

///