Re: Originality

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 06:38:56 +0100
In article <"007D03ADEBF8E010*/c=us/admd=  /prmd=Cat/o=NOTES/s=Gosling/g
=Richard/i=B/"@MHS>, Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
writes

>Mike wrote:
>I am *dying* to replace the undersized Mountney wheel on Carly.   It is
>a real pain parking with such a tiny amount of leverage, and the damn
>thing obscures parts of the gauges.
>
>Funny - I prefer small steering wheels, they make the already rapid steering on
> a Spitfire even more responsive to the smallest of inputs.  It is true that it
> is a bit heavier at parking than a modern, power-assisted car, but I don't
> find it too bad, since the Spit is such a light car.  I also see your point
> that it obscures the fuel gauge (that's why I keep a spare gallon in a can in
> the boot :-)).  I use a 13" Mountney, smallest I am aware of them making.
>
>More to the point, however, is that I am 6'3", so if the wheel was any larger I
> wouldn't be able to fit my legs underneath it!

I am only 6' 0" myself, but can extrapolate. <g>   I think your problem
may be that your seat cushion is too new!

>  Previous to Daffy I had Sammy
> the MG BGT - the original (15" or 16") wheel was so obstructive to my long
> legs that I could not lift my leg all the way up on the clutch!  Within a week
> of purchase it was replaced with a 14" Mountney.
>
>I think Mountney wheels come in a range of diameters, so if the standard wheel
> you are after proves still too small (the standard Moto-Lita on Daffy was also
> 13"), you could move up to one of those.

True, but if I am replacing the steering wheel, I'd like to get an
original.   I picked up most of the one from the '74 that has been
stripped at work (missing the "Triumph" horn button, but complete with
the moulded surround), but unfortunately this is the pre-FM100,020
version, and the leather rim has long gone anyway.   I'll keep
looking...

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///