Re: Steering Slop

To: CraigS <CraigS@iewc.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Slop
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 01 May 2001 03:41:35 -0500
Craig,

You need to remove (not just loosen) the clamp bolts on both halves of the
 flexible coupling.  You also need to remove the steering wheel adjustment bit
 on the steering column below the dashboard - with the plate that holds the two
 halves together in place, the shaft will not be able to slide far enough out
 to enable you to free the flexible coupling.

Make sure the wheels are in the straight ahead position before you finally
 remove the coupling (bear in mind that you will need to turn the steering to
 remove the coupling clamp bolts).  Otherwise, when you re-assemble, it will be
 difficult to make sure the steering wheel is in the correct position.  I still
 found it difficult to get the steering wheel in exactly the right position,
 and ended up having to remove the wheel from the shaft and rotate it one
 spline round.

I have heard recommendations that the flexible coupling should be replaced with
 a universal joint (as used in the steering column of 2000/2500/2.5PI saloon
 cars), as the problem is less likely to re-occur, but I just used the standard
 coupling, figuring that if it lasted as long as the first one did (20 years)
 that would be good enough for me!  If you are in the States, and 2000/2500
 parts are hard to come by, Rimmers are bound to do them, but cost will become
 more of an issue then!

Richard & Daffy

///