Re: Clutch/transmission

To: pettisw <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>, spitfires
Subject: Re: Clutch/transmission
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 01 May 2001 03:26:32 -0500
Ward,

If you want to sort the clutch out, go in from the gearbox end - much easier
 than pulling the engine.  If you remove the dash support and the carpet, you
 will find a transmission cover made from cardboard (may have been replaced by
 a plastic/fibreglass unit by a previous owner).  Remove this, and you have
 full access to remove the gearbox from inside the car.  You will need to
 disconnect the propshaft, but you can get away without complete removal.  It
 will be easier also if you remove the seats - more room to work.  The engine
 should be supported by a jack under the sump - use a large piece of wood to
 spread the load, to avoid denting the sump.

It is possible to do the whole job single handed (I know, I've done it), but it
 will be MUCH easier if there are two of you to manhandle the gearbox out of
 its home - it's not light, particularly if you have O/D.

Richard & Daffy

///