Re: Speaker location

To: "Chris DeStaffany" <destaff@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speaker location
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:03:45 -0700
Chris,

6" x 9"s are rather large and I agree with others that enclosures in the
rear deck area is the only way to go.  Especially if you can angle them up
to face the top of the seats.  The footwells are a poor location for
speakers from a sonic standpoint.  The high frequencies, which tend to
bounce around, won't reflect well because they'd be facing the carpeting on
the transmission tunnel and your stereo imaging will be greatly compromised.
Smaller speakers could theoretically be placed along the A pillar support
panel recesses with the drivers facing back towards the cockpit, but even a
small loss of lateral legroom might make this undesirable.

I highly recommend enclosed speakers regardless.  You'll get better bass
management, for one thing.  I wound up buying a very nice pair of Advent
indoor/outdoor speakers at Costco for a mere $49.  They sound fabulous.
They have tuned bass ports and each speaker features a separate mid-range
and tweeter.  The frequency response and power handling of these speakers
were comparable to a nice $170 set of Cerwin Vega 6" speakers that
Crutchfield carries.  The Advents are unobtrusive -- no larger than those
6x9s you have -- maybe even smaller -- and easily removed while parked in
unfamiliar territory for any length of time.

Good luck with your project.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!