RE: Re: How long do brake master cylindes last?

To: <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Subject: RE: Re: How long do brake master cylindes last?
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Thu, Oct 26 2000 10:32:58 GMT-0600
>I find extreme fault with people that use scare tactics to sell.  My
>favorite ebay saying is "RARE, whatever part"  When I can buy it cheaper
>from any usual culprit.

Oh! Absolutely! If you think it's bad in the Spitfire parts listings, you
should see the gemstone/jewelry listings! Whenever I meet an eBay newbie, I
warn them.

Besides that the Master cylinder on ebay last I
>looked was in the $275 range.  While that did include a Reservoir and was
>brand new, I can get a perfectly good rebuilt one without the reservoir from
>Ted Schumacher for $80.  Hmmm.

Exactly! I've sort of given up the idea of buying parts off eBay-though that
rear bumper for the Spit1500 looked *really* good!

Back to the question of how long the M/C lasts-when I got my first Spitfire, it
was a 1977 and I bought it in '83/84-from the original owner. And one of the
first things that went was the M/C. (All over beautiful red lizard Italian
pumps! New! Destroyed!)

When I bought my second Spitfire, it too was a 1977 and I bought it in 1991/92
from the second owner-and first off, I had to replace both the clutch and the
brake m/c (and rebuilt the slave.)

Nigel has a new clutch m/c. I believe that the one I replaced was from 10 years
ago. (Dave had the car for 14 years, working on the restoration.) Still waiting
for the brake m/c to go. (And it will.)

Hope that helps.

Laura G.