Silicone Brake Fluid vs DOT4

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Silicone Brake Fluid vs DOT4
From: Ron Deaver <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:36:33 -0700
Part of my 80 Spit restoration is a total rebuild of the brake
system.  Normally I would switch to Silicone when replacing all
calipers/cylinders and hoses (moving to stainless steel lines), the local
shop pushed strongly to stay with Castrol DOT4 LMA, as silicone has smaller
molecules and is more prone to seal problems.  I will be replacing the
Master Cylinder as well.  Previous owner rebuilt it, but it does lose
pressure here and there (similar to the recent thread on Master Cylinders /
Brake Problems).  I am just replacing it with a rebuilt rather than rebuild
it a second time.

What is the general consensus and advice for one new to Spitfires?  All
advice is greatly appreciated.