RE: What's wrong with my brakes?

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: RE: What's wrong with my brakes?
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@pop.xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:28:08 +0200
At 08:05 9-10-2000 -0500, Richard B Gosling wrote:

> Never done a re-build before - how long will it take?

Without any other problems cropping up: an afternoon, tops.

> Can I do it in an evening?

Should be possible.

> Any special tips?  Anything I should look for that will
> tell me that I should really replace, not re-build?

After removing the piston, check the cylinder surface *very carefully* for
marks or pitting. Even with new seals and everything, the slightest
imperfection of the cylinder wall will quickly put you right back to the
point you're at now.

> Given that this seems to
> have come on reasonably suddenly, does this make it more or less likely that
> the M/C is un-repairable?

I'd say less. If you're sure it's the M/C (there's still a remote
possibility of a sudden occurrance of 'wind' in the system), then it's most
likely just a failed piston seal. Do the rebuild first - if that doesn't
last, you can still buy the new M/C.

Cheers,

--
Eric Kieboom - The Netherlands