seized clutch!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: seized clutch!
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:37:17 -0600
A beautiful day for a short drive.  Pulled out of a driveway, everything
working perfectly.  Clutch in, engage first gear, clutch out and take
off.

Reach the corner, try to put the clutch in for a shift -ugh! The pedal
won't budge.  Tried a few more times, but no luck, so pushed it back
into a driveway.

After a few more tries, the pedal went to the floor then stuck there.
So  looked around for leaks, jammed linkage at the pedal etc - nothing.

Phoned my wife to come and tow me home, and no sooner hung up and went
and tried it again - clutch worked, sort of.  Enough to get out of the A
& W parking lot anyway.  First corner - same problem.   Push it back
into the parking lot again..  Waited the hour it took my wife to come
and rescue me, then decided to try to drive it home with her following.

Again it worked, sort of.  At times the clutch slipped when I revved the
motor, at times the pedal jammed, but we made it.

Tore the master cylinder out; removed the slave cylinder, just in case.
Found the piston seized in the master cylinder.

Can't get it out.  Tried air at 95psi.  It moved to the end of the
cylinder, but won't pop out like it should.

Tried a grease gun connected directly to the brake outlet line of the
M/C, again piston moves to the end of the cylinder, then grease spurts
back through the reservoir.

Now I am as stuck as that piston.  Don't know what to try next.  Any
ideas?  Anyone else have a seized clutch master cylinder?  This gave no
warning, like sticking, binding etc.  Now that I look at the clutch
fluid I see it is inky black - probably an indication that something has
been going wrong for some time.

Cheers, Fred
Wasting the Indian Summer.

--