Re: Alternator Bracket Needed

To: "Laura.G" <Laura.G@141.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Bracket Needed
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 25 Sep 2000 07:04:33 -0500
Laura,

Are you talking about the top bracket (where you adjust the position to get
 your fan belt tension), or the cast lower bracket?

If you are talking about the top bracket, I know Moss in the UK sells them new
 (I got through one every couple of months until I tracked down the underlying
 cause).

If you are talking about the lower bracket, Rimmer Bros. have these cast for
 them.  I get the feeling it is some bloke in a shed somewhere, and he is not
 that fast - I waited about 3 months for mine to turn up.   However, this was
 only 3 or 4 months ago, and if he was casting he probably did several at a
 time, in which case Rimmers may have one in stock (unless they all sold out
 already!).

Of course, I'm sure a US supplier would be easier, but if you are having
 trouble finding what you want, these could be an option.

If it is the lower bracket you want, and you find a second-hand one, make sure
 the hole hasn't ovalised.  This is what was wrong with mine, and was the
 underlying cause of the top bracket breaking - the ovalising allowed the
 alternator to move, which flexed the top bracket, which then failed due to
 fatigue.

Hope this helps,

Richard and Daffy