Re: Observations

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Observations
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 05:54:44 -0700
>2: Did you know that the Spit's engine crankshaft axis is NOT centered
>    in the car?  It is off an inch or more to the right.
*************************************
I think you'll find that this dimension exactly corresponds to the offset
of the pinion gear shaft centerline.  If both axles are exactly the same
length, which in this case they are, then something has to be off set.  The
diff in this case IS mounted in the center of the car for the reasons just
stated and the pinion gear IS NOT centered in the rear casing (as it is
with all these types of differential) so the drive shaft, in order to
remain parallel to the longitudinal centerline of the car (looking from the
top down), is offset this difference.  It's not a whole lot, so in the
scheme of things it doesn't really matter all that much -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)