RE: Engine bench test question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine bench test question
From: Mike Welch <mikew@turbopower.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:57:55 -0600
Mike,
  It depends on how long you want to run it.  If it's a few minutes, long
enough to heat up, you'll want to hook up the radiator also.  You can use a
gravity feed for the fuel if the fuel pump is not connected.
  When I tested mine it was on an engine stand.  I rigged up a glass jar
with about 3 feet of clear fuel line connected to the fuel inlet pipe.  I
put hung that about  feet above the carbs and siphoned the tube.  (that's
where the clear fuel line comes in handy, you can see the fuel coming in so
you don't get a mouthful<g>)  I rigged up the radiator so it was about 3
feet in front of the engine and ran 2 house fans to keep things cool (and to
ventilate the garage).
  You can use the starter solenoid from the Spit, or just run a lead from
the starter terminal on whatever solenoid you have available.  Touch it to
the battery when you want it to turn over.
  Have a fire extinguisher and a phone handy. (my wife manages the phone
when I'm doing car work, she says she just dials '91' and keeps her finger
on 1<g>) Wear ear plugs (unless you're running with a muffler), goggles,
etc.

Mike Welch
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
mikew@turbopower.com