Leaking J-type overdrive... but where?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking J-type overdrive... but where?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 05:00:39 -0400
  I just installed a J-type overdrive in my car.

  The overdrive works perfectly, but there is a lingering
leak I can't seem to track down. It puts out enough oil
that the car is testable but I don't think I could drive
more than an hour or so between gearbox fillups.

  Anyways, the leak seems to be coming from the very
bottom of the overdrive, either the sump or the immediate
vicinity.

  What in this area usually leaks? It seems to
leak only when running, and likely only when
in overdrive. It doesn't leak when parked.

  I replaced the sump gasket, but it didn't help. I
didn't really expect it to help, since the car is
only leaking when running anyways

  The other two suspects in the vicinity are the solenoid,
and the "black bolt" on the bottom of the unit.

  Is it possible for oil to leak through the solenoid,
even if the solenoid works fine?

  And secondly, what is that black bolt? Could it
be leaking? Is this bolt where the pressure gauge
is supposed to be attached?

  If anyone could scan and email me the relevent pages
of the manual, I'd be much appreciative. I don't have
any manuals for the J-type because my car is actually
a Midget 1500 which never came with it as an option.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca