Re: Maryland Vehicle Inspection

To: "John Baker" <dmjbaker@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Maryland Vehicle Inspection
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:55:20 -0500
John (& other MD Spit-owners),
   If your Spit is NOT your primary daily-driver, consider MD historical
tags.  The down-side is that you are theoretically limited to shows, parades
and "occasional" driving (undefinable & therefore unenforceable - or at
least never enforced in my experience).  The upside is no inspection, no
emissions, & much cheaper tags.
   Many Marylanders are aware that any vehicle over 25 years old can get
historical tags.  However, many are not aware that vehicles 20 years old are
also eligible IF the marque is no longer manufactured, AND you present a
letter from the manufacturer certifying that fact.
   Such a certification is obviously unattainable today since
Standard-Triumph went belly-up some years ago.  So I made copies of
appropriate pages from various manuals, catalogs, etc., showing the Aug '80
production end-date (selected web-pages should suffice also), and attached
them to my title application package.  Counter-Lady scratched her head and
called up Desk-Lady sitting behind her.  Desk-Lady also scratched her head,
and then took my package through the swinging door to the Grand Poobah.  A
couple of minutes later, Desk-Lady returned my package to Counter-Lady, who
called me back up and gave me my historical tags.
   Bearing in mind that bureaucrats thrive on paper - the more the better -
I presented a fairly healthy package fancied up a bit with tabbed & lettered
attachments, etc.  It worked for me; YMMV.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Mexico, NY  -  (sans) 78 Spit  FM73070U O