Fw: Shaky Spit - Update + Solution

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Fw: Shaky Spit - Update + Solution
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:41:16 -0400
Got it!!!

Please disregard the previous email, I didn't want to send it but I goofed!

Anyway, I found the solution to my shaky problem.

First of all, the problem wasn't the axles, the u-joints or the diff.  After
carefull examination, I finally realized that the vibration was alot faster
then the rotational speed of the axle shafts.  So I decided to take a look
at the drive (prop) shaft.

BINGO!!!

Ran down to the closest hardware store, bought a few pipe clamps (the ones
with a screew) and put a few on the drive shaft.  5 clamps and some tuning
later... Voila, no more vibration (actually, not enough to be a problem).
With the rear wheels up, ran up to 90mph without a problem.  Went down the
road at 70+ mph, smooth as can be.  I am pleased!!!  :-)

I plan to have the drive shaft professionally balanced in the future but for
now, this 3$ solution is quite acceptable.

Thanks all for your help
Now, I'm going for a nice drive at full speed limit!!!  Woohoo
Steph
'69 Spit - Hers (Shake - not anymore, rattle - a lot less than before, and
roll - you bet!)
'71 TR6 - Mine (In pieces)