finding your rim size

To: List Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: finding your rim size
From: Dean Martz <dmartz@dns.lake-coe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 16:09:34 -0700
Oh wise list,

            I come begging for info, after an extended period of lurking
(seemed like

the safest plan with all the flamin' and discontent flying around the
past month or

2... ). I've searched archives, etc. with no avail --  so, as the
subject line says, how do

I find out the rim size on  the mishmash of wheels that came attached to
my  '63

Spit ?? All of them have the inset that would accomodate the later
plastic "hubcap",

but I'm looking for stamped #'s to tell for sure (and all have 1/2
decent rubber on

them, so I don't want to slice them off just to measure.) I know from my
long

deceased 1980 Spit, that they had  #'s  on the 5" rims.  Yeah, I know,
the easy way is

simply to replace the nasty old tire with a new one of the same size,
then I'd have a

155/13, 2- 5.20 /13's, and a 175/80/13, and oooh that would ride nicely.
Sarcasm

aside, any ideas short of leaving  it to Bubba at Mega-super-discount
Tires and his

"suggestions"  on what would fit would be welcome and appreciated.

                                                                TIA,
Dean M. ('63 Spit4)