Re: Voltage regulator problems?

To: <WyzeGuy555@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Voltage regulator problems?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 22:30:31 -0700
It's not really noise -- the lack of consistent power causes dropouts and
causes my CD changer to display an error that it cannot recover from while
the engine is running (even when parked) so it has nothing to do with the
changer's shock vibration capabilities -- I'm certain of that.  It simply
appears to me that the radio isn't getting a reliable, consistent, clean
power feed.  That's why I suspect the voltage regulator.  It even has a
separate adjustment for amp versus voltage output...  The wiring harness is
very recent and in good shape.  I tried connecting to different sources for
the power through the cars' electrical system.  All yielded the same
results.  When the engine is turned off and the radio runs from just the
battery, it does great.  It's only when the car is running that there's a
problem.  Another tip off that it's a voltage or amperage issue is that the
symptoms subside significantly if the volume is low and the bass is
attenuated completely.  Volume level and bass are definite amperage hogs.

Awhile ago, I ran a power lead from the radio directly to the battery.
Fired up the engine, revved to about 3,000 RPM and both the radio and CD
changer performed admirably.  Of course, this was no real road test, but I
believe that the problem is solved.  However, if my charging system isn't
delivering more than the radio is taking -- I've still got a problem that I
need to address.

Best wishes,

Jeff