gt6 carb floats again

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: gt6 carb floats again
From: Tom Sivertsen <siv@education.ucsb.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 20:22:40 -0700
Thanks for the advice so far on my "cut out" problem.  It's been helpful.
Maybe we can go one step further?

The problem solving process, so far:

Rebuilt carbs (Stromberg 150s) last year.  Now (apparently due to rebuild,
other causes?) car cuts out  on long sweeping left turns.

Plenty of gas in tank, at least half a tank on the last one.  this behavior
has been consistent over time.   Maybe crud in the bottom of the tank?

Also replaced fuel pump and filter last year.  Maybe a bad pump?

Have adjusted carb floats twice so that they close the needle valve later
-- seems like some improvement, but unsure.  Ready to do this a third time.
Could the new needle valves not be letting enough fuel in?  Too restrictive
or sticky?  They don't seem to stick shut when I've inspected them.

Replaced 30 year old coil today with a Lucas Sport.  Possible coil short on
turns?  NOt likely, but will test Monday.

Can't think of anything else.  I'm going to replace the filter tomorrow,
just in case.  And adjust the floats again.  After that, maybe I'll check
the fuel pickup line in the tank -- do I just pull the fuel gauge sending
unit out and peek down inside?

Thanks for the input,

Tom in Isla Vista CA