Re: Questions???

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Questions???
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 16:04:22 -0400
At 09:16 AM 5/13/00 -0500, Jason K. Cullum wrote:

>1.) My temp gauge was not working so I tested the sending unit, dead. the
>wiring was all OK and power was going to the gauge, so I purchased a new
>sending unit, put it in and almost nothing happened, I drove for about 35
>minutes, combo of highway and in-town, the gauge moved just off the C,
>barely. Is it possible that my engine didn't get that hot, I have the stock
>continuous running fan and it was about 65 degrees out.

I haven't seen anyone address some other possibilities:

Jason, do you know if you have a thermostat installed?  If not this would
explain why the car ran so cool in 65 degree weather.  If you have a 'stat
installed, how old is it.  It may have failed about the same time your
sending unit did.

You say the old sending unit was shot.  How did you check it?  It is a
variable resistor that changes resistance based on temperature.  If you
tried to read voltage on it you should have seen a constant 10V or so.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org