Re: Questions???

To: jcullum@chorus.net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Questions???
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:41:05 EDT
In a message dated 5/13/00 7:13:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jcullum@chorus.net writes:

> 2.) Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to install a gear shit
>  Rebush kit? Got one and there are a lot of parts!

Hi Jason,  Are you sure that last sentence shouldn't read "and there sure are
a lot of farts!"

All kidding aside, if you mean the gear SHIFT Rebush kit, there are 2 sets of
bushings to replace.  1) hand shift lever-requires 2 nylon bushes (look like
top hats), a cylindrical sleeve that fits inside the top hats, and possibly
some very thin washers to adjust the play when these are fitted inside the
opening in the bottom of the hand shift lever as it is fitted to the
operating shaft.  The operating shaft is the rod that is flat on one end and
forked (no typo here, thank goodness) on the other.  The gear shift lever
fits into the fork.  The flattened end of the operating shaft takes the
remaining bush, and two fiber washers go above and below the fork of the gear
shaft coupling (this is attached to smaller diameter rod that is toward the
front).  There may be more of the thin washers to use here as well.
If you are installing an anti-rattle kit as well, the sequence is as follows:
Big spherical bush, small spring, circlip, big spring, small dished washer,
large dished washer, cap.

Use 20 wt oil in the dash pots

Is your fuel gauge OK?  If it isn't working either your voltage stabilizer on
the back of the speedometer is shorted, or your temp gauge is bad.  Both
gauges run off current from the voltage stabilizer.  If you can't find a
cheap temp gauge around your parts (pun intended), I've got a '63 with
peeling dial paint for $8 plus UPS shipping.

Good luck,
Bill Brockschmidt
63,64,66,70(no body),73,77 Spits
65 Jaguar