Lead susbstitute tip

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lead susbstitute tip
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:10:40 -0700
I've heard the pros and cons of using unleaded gas with or without lead
substitutes in our cars and given the fact that the valves and heads were
redone in my car many years ago (but less than 4 thousand miles ago) with
original BL parts (not hardened for unleaded use), the PO used lead
substitute additives. I'm following suit because I don't believe that enough
carbon build-up exists to adequately protect my valves and seats from damage
by using straight unleaded gas.  At least, it's not a risk I'm willing to
take.  Yesterday, while I was at Wal-Mart (never found the $39 speakers that
Barry spoke of), I found a really neat lead substitute that features it's
own built-in measuring device.  You squeeze an ounce of lead substitute from
the main reservoir into a secondary chamber, which you then dump into your
gas tank.  One ounce treats ten gallons -- the exact capacity of Spitfire
tanks!  It costs just a little over $5 for a quart of the stuff, which
treats over 250 gallons.  The built-in dispenser in the packaging and the
price for the amount of additive offered was a great deal.  I haven't seen
this particular lead substitute product anywhere else.  Although I may or
may not need it, I consider it cheap insurance.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!