Re: Why is the hub filled with grease?

To: "D.T.Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com>
Subject: Re: Why is the hub filled with grease?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 07:09:29 -0700

"D.T.Gebhard" wrote:

> That's funny because I had the same question. Wouldn't
> the grease 'somehow' escape if it was liquefied and
> another thing is that if your hubs are getting that
> hot...you have a problem,

Hopefully not.  That is what the inner seal and the dust cap are for.

Plus under normal circumstances most of the grease (as already pointed
out) stays where it was put on assembly.  If there was not enough there
to begin with, it would not provide the reservoir that is required to
keep the bearings lubricated when they got hot and the grease around
them liquefied.  I think that what actually happens is that it helps
conduct the heat away from the bearings as well as providing
lubrication.

Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer