RE: Lug nut diameter, please

To: <HD50EL@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lug nut diameter, please
From: "Michael Burdick" <burdick@abacus.mc.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:09:29 -0600
> Barry, I was referring to the knock off wire wheels. I double checked
> the set of original nuts that I have, and they are slightly longer, and
> only have one taper. I compared them to the NOS early steel wheel
> nuts that I have, and they are definitely not the same.

FWIW, John's experience matches mine - the nuts I have holding my
WW adaptors are slightly longer than those used on disc wheels, and
only one end is beveled.

> the wires from him. Now just because the wire wheel kits show
> double bevel nuts, does not mean that they are OEM style nuts.
> In fact, it is entirely possible that Triumph used more than one
> style of nuts on the adaptors over the course of production.

Big TRs use a double-beveled nut to hold WW adaptors on.  The reason
has to do with clearance with the WW hub - shorter studs are required
too.  (For the Spit, the same length studs are used for disc and wire
wheels.)
Pictures I have seen of conversion kits for Big TRs show the double-beveled
nuts.

Just doing my part to further muddy the waters... :-)

Mike Burdick
Durham NC.