Lug nut diameter, please

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Lug nut diameter, please
From: "Brad Kahler" <bkahler@jacads.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:19:39 -1000
Jeff, you might be wrong about needing a different size lug nut for the wire
wheel adapters.  I talked about this with Nigel of Spitbits and I believe at
that
time we concluded that the lug nuts are the same for wire wheels or disc
wheels.

My guess is the quality of the lug nuts you got from VB is really wheret the
problem lies.  The reason I say this is because I bought new head nuts for
my spitfire cylinder head when I had the head reworked.  During my
installation of the nuts I was torquing them down and things went fine.
However within hours of running the engine I had head gasket leakage
again. I then decided that it must need a retorque.  So I started to retorque
the head nuts and each and everyone of them stripped on me.  VB had sold
me a cheap grade replacement nut when they should have been grade 8.

So do some more checking around before you determine that you have to
have a different size nut.  I don't believe you do.  My past experiences with
VB has forced me to NEVER buy mechanical components that are important
to the safety of the driver or vehicle.

It might be worth your time and effort to have the VB lug nuts checked by
someone who can verify their hardness with respect to some original lug
nuts.

Just my $0.02

Good luck!

Brad

[This message delayed bacause bkahler@jacads.com is not a list member.
Actually the wire wheel lug nuts *are* different than standard.  Wire wheel
nuts are not as tall, and are tapered on both sides, so as not to foul the
wire wheel when it is on the adapter.   mjb.]