RE: backward spit engine

To: SPITFIRES <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: backward spit engine
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:30:07 -0500
Message text written by "Dean Dashwood"
>I hear it's possible to start a Spitfire engine (don't know if this is any
engine, or a specific one) backwards, so long as you get the engine nice
and hot
first.  I've never tried it, and I wouldn't suggest that you do either!<

it can't be done. running backwards the engine would suck in exhaust gas
compress it and then the plug would fire. the engine if it continues to
spin, the piston would go down releasing the pressure on the exhaust gases
which would do nothing on that stroke and then when the piston goes back up
would squeeze the exhaust gases out the carb.

the arthur