Re: Hard-top/Soft-top Mounting

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hard-top/Soft-top Mounting
From: RIBJEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:13:49 EST

Ree Gurlely asked the following:

"Q1: Can the soft-top be installed, folded down, and then the hardtop be
mounted over it (that is, without permanently removing the soft-top again)?
I.e., is there room enough under the hardtop rear horizontal interior trim
panel for the soft-top rear to fold over the body-lip (and then down into
the well)?"
A: Yes the hardtop can be installed with the soft top still inside of the
car.  But 1) the mounting hardware behind the seats is different (shorter?)
as the hardtop will mount to the soft top hinge instead of where the hinge
mounts to the car. 2) the 2 mounting bolts at the rear window which hold the
hardtop are the same bolts which hold the "bar/slat/stiffy" piece on (you
disconnect the soft top and connect the hardtop).

   "Q2: Anybody know the proper width of bar/slat/stiffy at the rear bottom
of the soft-top?"
A: I'll leave this to the experts.

   "Q3:  (Just curious) On that inside horizontal panel of the hardtop there
are 3 small snaps - male-type - one in the center and one each toward the
corners.  What are these for?"
A: I think they are for the cover for the soft top when the hard top is
installed - they made 2 different covers - one for when the hard top is
installed and the other for if you dont have a hardtop.

I hope this helps.  This is what I remember from helping my brother install
his hardtop.  He has both covers and has to leave the soft top installed.

Bob Berger
78 Spitfire (passed both safety & emissions with a new/old cat converter)