Hard-top/Soft-top Mounting

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hard-top/Soft-top Mounting
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:33:27 -0600
   I've been running my '78 1500 for over a dozen years with the hard-top on
during the winter (great!) and the tonneau cover (only) during the summer
(not so great).  The soft-top has been in the basement patiently awaiting my
attention to the cracked vinyl quarter-windows (Thanks, PO), which I've
finally just gotten to.
   The soft-top is/was attached to the rear cockpit rail with 3 rivets
(through the snaps) which I popped out when removing it (there was NO
bar/slat/stiffy along the bottom rear center of the soft-top).
   Q1: Can the soft-top be installed, folded down, and then the hard-top be
mounted over it (that is, without permanently removing the soft-top again)?
I.e., is there room enough under the hard-top rear horizontal interior trim
panel for the soft-top rear to fold over the body-lip (and then down into
the well)?
   Q2: Anybody know the proper width of bar/slat/stiffy at the rear bottom
of the soft-top?
   Q3:  (Just curious) On that inside horizontal panel of the hard-top there
are 3 small snaps - male-type - one in the center and one each toward the
corners.  What are these for?

Thanx Guys & Gals  -  Ree Gurlely in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit FM 73070U