Re: Nitrous Oxide

To: Patrick Bowen <pabowen@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Nitrous Oxide
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:23:23 -0700

Patrick Bowen wrote:

> Joe, another neat feature on the S2000 that might cause concern is that most
> high rpm cars and race cars have short piston travel while the S2000 has a
> long piston travel.  What this means is not only are you using very high
> rpms but now you have greatly multiplied the pistons speed as well (almost
> twice what a shorter piston travle car might have).  Will it break, eah
> maybe.  Would I like to be the one who trys breaking it, OH YEA!

Actually, Patrick, the design is pretty good in that respect.  It is
"over Square", meaning the bore is larger than the stroke.  The stroke,
at 3.3 inches is a bit shorter than the 1500 (3.44") and a bit longer
than the 1296 (3").

The bugaboo is the wimpy torque that the engine generates (153 pounds at
7300 rpm).  That equates to no fun until you get pretty high in the rpm
band.  And what's the use of having a sports car if you can't have fun!

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer