RE: clutch bleeding on 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: clutch bleeding on 1500
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:56:21 -0800
Alan;

I Just did exactly this same task yesterday (Sunday).  I had originally bled
the clutch hydraulics when I had the all the interiors and transmission
tunnel removed.  However, I did not get the engine running until I had put
all of the interiors back together.  That's when I discovered the clutch
system was not working properly because engagement occurred with the pedal
barely off the floor.  So, not wanting to rip out the interiors again I
proceeded to try to bleed the system from under the car.  I have two
statements to make to that effect:

1)  Yes, it can be done from underneath the car.
2)  It isn't a piece of cake as I initially thought.

I could not manipulate any of my available tools (3/8" drive socket, open
and closed end wrenches, etc., in the space provided.  So I bought a 1/4"
drive socket set and universal joint at Sears and proceeded with those.
What actually worked both for loosening and tightening the bleed screw was
the straight handle socket wrench (looks like a screw driver handle), the 3"
extension, the universal joint, and 7/16" socket.  The higher you can get
the car off the ground the easier it is to do this.  There is also a heavy
steel cable attached to the front of the bell housing on one end and the
frame on the other.  If you remove this it provides you with a little more
freedom of movement in that area.

I hope this helps.  I don't live very far from you if you need any
additional assistance.  But I HATE working under cars; it's that "fear of
falling" thing - not me, the car. :-)

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)