Re: wanted

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: wanted
From: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 14:42:03 -0500
sounds like a damn fun project engine to me if i had the money to do it...

i still am working on the front spring weight considerations.  the ro-spit
was using 350 lbs, went to 500, and is going to 550.  when i do the math for
wheel rate taking into consideration for wheel motion ratio and spring rate,
the formula says we should use 500-550 springs.  (ratio is wheel rate=spring
rate/motion ratio squared)  I was given this formula by a  DM guy who
trophied at nationals.  He says we need a wheel rate of about 200-250 for
autox, which gives the springs i suggested above.  it seems like they are so
heavy in comparison to the stock spit 180 lb springs.  Ted Schumaker says to
start at 300 and move up.  The spit prep manual suggests 433 lbs.  So where
to go, i am not sure.  I am not changing to a 1inch roll bar, so i need to
change all in the spring rate.

btw, the motion ration for the front wheels that i measured is 1.6 spring to
wheels ratio.

jim