"Extra" dashboard holes

To: "'Spitfires'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Extra" dashboard holes
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:12:15 -0700
Hi all;

Under the wood fascia on later model Spitfires there are additional large,
unused holes and some smaller ones.  Most notably to the right of the center
section on the passenger's side, and on the far left of the driver's side.
Were these used at one time for other gauges or a clock?  If so, does anyone
have the specs on them?

What ranges of scales are appropriate for engine oil pressure and oil
temperature gauges, in a Spitfire (non-racing version, mild engine)?

I am beginning the process of making a couple of replacement dashboards out
of solid Burl Walnut (yeah, I love wood working too), and I'm considering
adding in additional gauges and maybe a clock to one of them.  One dash will
be stock configuration and the other will be "highly modified" with more
gauges, and lots of toggle switches instead of the loan rocker switch.

Thanks.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)