Indicator Lights/Stupid Tip/Anecdote

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Indicator Lights/Stupid Tip/Anecdote
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:54:12 -0400
The other day someone on the list mentioned that they were looking for
special text for their
rectangular indicator lights on the dash panel. And someone mentioned you
can pull them apart
and put your own transparencies.

I just wanted to add my own stupid tip to this thread (and people that like
their indicators as
original will deride and scoff at this but...)

Everyone that gets in my car (at night) sees the HAZARD light and says "Is
there something wrong?!
Your Hazard light is on!" and I have to explain that; it and the Window
Wiper lights are just indicators.
They just happen to be this REALLY bright red.

Well, the rest of the dash lights are green (my turn signal light, the
instrument illumination has
this great eerie green glow, my new radio back lighting is green, and I
even bought a lighter with a
green illumination ring from Krack-auto.) So, to change the lights to
green, I pulled them apart and
using a thick 4 mil (?) plastic, I used an indelible marker and colored it
green. But there were
two problems; 1) coloring the clear plastic doesn't dim the bulb
enough...it's STILL really bright
but with a green tinge to it and 2) the non heat resistant plastic
burns...and stinks badly when on
for an extended period of time.

So after hours of looking at those little red pieces of diffusing plastic,
I went into the kitchen
for some milk and noticed that the plastic cap on the top of the milk was a
nice thick green plastic.
And big enough to cut a rectangle out of.

Years from now, someone's going to go to replace the bulbs in this car and
see the words "dairy prod"
on the back of the diffusing plastic and think "Man...The British were
seriously into recycling!"

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500 w/green indicator
Maryland