Re: heat troubles? (carbs)

To: Spit-flyers <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heat troubles? (carbs)
From: Bob Sykes <stan.part@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:20:04 -0700
Spitflyers,

A fair of amount of "field testing" in years of NC heat yields:

The HS4 carbs perform OK without a heatshield when used with the
stock cast iron exhaust manifold.  The 4-into-1 exhaust header generates
more radiant heat and a shield is required.  I have a nice polished
stainless one from TSSC.  A bit spendy, but effective (& shiny).

The Weber carbs (DCOE & DGV) work just fine without a heatshield.

The various ZS carb variants are OK without a heatshield, unless you
also have a cat-con.  I'd use one then, especially for city driving.
Of course, as always YMMV.

I try to avoid the heatshields when I can.  They make removing the
carbs/manifolds take twice as long.  Not that I'm always taking it
apart or anything...

--
LBC'ing U,
Bob (& Spitfires)