RE: GT6 vs Spit Gearbox

To: "Haynes, Mark" <mhaynes@ball.com>
Subject: RE: GT6 vs Spit Gearbox
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:00:02 -0700
>> Would a 74 or 75 Spit gearbox fit a 70 GT6? I know this is probably a very
>> stupid question but it would save me a lot of work.

>Yes, it would

This isn't entirely correct.  It *would* bolt up to the bell housing
provided it was a 74 or earlier.  The 75 single rail, while possibly
bolting to the bellhousing, wouldn't work because the bellhousing doesn't
have any provision for the selector shaft to "pass through" as required for
these trannys.  Besides those minor glitches, the input shaft is not long
enough, and the number of splines and the diameter are not the same.  Add
also, that the ratios and laygear material are not really suitable for the
GT6's increased torque.  And you can't use a tranny complete with
bellhousing, because the starters are on opposite sides for these engines
(and possibly the bolt pattern for the engine plate/bellhousing is
different), as well as the clutches themselves are different sizes.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)