Braking Away

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Braking Away
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:57:29 -0500
Fellow Spitphiles,

I'm wondering if anyone has comments/experiences about VB supplied front brake
pads. A PO replaced the pads shortly before I bought my car in Aug. 96. It has
always taken a lot of of pedal pressure to stop the car. I've assumed that it's
a rear brake problem, but after a complete re-do of the rears and multiple
adjustments, it's still almost impossible to lock the wheels up. The MC is
recently rebuilt. I'm getting a lot of pad dust on the front wheels. I'm
wondering if the friction material in the pads is soft, or glazed or..?? Any
recommendations on a (brand name?)semimetallic pad or other brake system change
that would help?   What kind of brake pedal effort is neede in a properly set up
Spit? Am I just spoiled by years of power brakes?

TIA

Bob Waid
71 Mark IV FK4081L