Re: Herald Hubcaps

To: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Herald Hubcaps
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:49:40 +0100 (BST)
--- Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com> wrote:

> Can anybody comment on the quality of the hubcaps
> being sold under the
> part number 122806 (Herald, Vitesse, Spitfire up to
> Mk. 3, GT6) by TRF?
> Is the chrome nice & thick? Is the shape correct?
> How about Rimmer Bros?
> Any other good sources?
>
> Or should I rechrome the originals at twice the
> price?

These new hubcaps are all made by the same
manufacturers, and so will be the same regardless of
where you buy them. I personally do not like the these
replacement hubcaps. They are not pressed as crisply
as the originals - noticeable around the centre circle
depression - on the originals it is a small radius
lip, whereas on these it is a much larger radius.
Also, judging by the quality of the chrome on the new
bumpers I bought for my Mk2 Spitfire, there will be
just enough chrome to make them look shiny, and with
the first sign of moisture will start pitting.
Needless to say I would recommend getting your old
ones rechromed, as I am going to have to do with my
'new' bumpers.

===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299