RE: Stupid Question(s) .... ?????

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>, wizardz <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Subject: RE: Stupid Question(s) .... ?????
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:13:11 +0100
Guys,
        I have never seen an "E" in the Commission number, nor am I likely
to here in the UK. However, the "E" in the Engine Number has nothing to do
with US Emission Control equipment. ALL Standard-Triumph small 4 cylinder
engines in my experience carried the suffix "E", "LE" or "HE". The engines I
have examined range from the 948cc of the early Herald and Atlas through to
the Late 1500 Spitfire and Dolomite units. There may have been exceptions
withe the earlier 803cc variants, but I have no experience in that area, and
it's not applicable here.
        The "LE" suffix refers to the Low Compression variant, where "HE" is
High Compression. I have only seen "E" on a very early (1959) Herald Coupe
engine, Y201E. The engine is standard high compression unit, and later
identical engines I own carry the "HE" suffix.
        There may have been other suffixes for emission equipped Spitfires,
but the "E" ain't it!
        Hope this is of some interest,
                Bill Davies.

> wizardz wrote:
> >
> > Sorry Joe...
> > (for once the expert needs some info updating)
> > According to three different sources I've run across, the E
> > stands for Emissions equiped. (pre-California stds).
> > IE: airpump, gulp valve, EGR all installed.
>
> And?
>
> The point I was trying (apparently not very well) to make is there are
> no H or E suffixes on the commission number!  The engine
> suffixes are a
> whole 'nother story!

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1970 Spitfire MkIII
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup