Re: 70 spit fast idle new update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 spit fast idle new update
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:17:00 -0400
At 06:13 PM 9/10/99 EDT, Ken Copeland wrote:

>Listers
>          First of all thanks to all that responded. Checked for binding all
>seemed ok (rat traps don't have springs as good as on this carb). No water
>choke. Butterfly looks good. blocked all the little orfices that admit air
no
>change. At this point I'm leaning toward the throttle spindle.
>          When I talked to Nigel at Spitbits about maybe buying a new
spindle
>and butterfly he asked me if I changed the throttle spindle seals.  duh ! .
>The rebuild instructions say nothing about throttle spindle seals. A quick
of
>my haynes carb tech book and the service manual confirmed this. So thats the
>first thing I'm going to do when I pull the carb. Judging from the condition
>of the seals and gaskets the carb may have not been rebuilt in a very long
>time if ever!  I'll let the list know when I nail this down.

Ken,

   I don't remember seeing anything posted about checking for air leaks with
something like carb. cleaner, WD-40, etc.  Spray some of this stuff around
the sides of the carb., if the idle changes, then you've found your problem.
Then try around the carb to manifold, and then the manifold to block.

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org