Re: 70 spit fast idle sorta fixed for now

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 spit fast idle sorta fixed for now
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:17:58 EDT
In a message dated 9/9/99 6:27:10 PM EST, KHOCO@aol.com writes:

> set the timing to 8 deg atdc rpm now about 1200 rpm. at least now I can get
>  the car out and test drive a little.

That's much too late.  You're reducing the idle speed by setting the engine to
run less efficiently.  IIRC, the only spitfire with ATDC timing was the
emission
controlled high compression 76.  This will also contribute to your running on
problem.

Some suggestions (based on my 72 project car which may be slightly
different):

 -Are you sure you turned the right screw?  I believe that there are two on
the
  70 Stromberg, one for fast idle and one for normal idle.

- There is a windup spring that gives the return action.  It can break, but
that
   may not be visibly apparent.

- Is there any fraying of the throttle cable that might be holding the carb
partly
  open?

- Otherwise, I'd suspect an airleak somewhere and the carb was tuned extra
   rich to compensate.

Sorry if any of this was already covered, I deleted some of the other e-mails
on
this subject...

Good luck!

Greg Rowe