Odd Clutch? problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Odd Clutch? problem
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 14:01:16 -0700
Listers, I thought I throw this out for some ideas, as I am stumped, and
that doesn't happen very often :-)
While its not a Borg and Beck TR clutch it is in my TR and it is a
diaphragm clutch.  I have a problem with the clutch I installed after
replacing it recently (those of you at Mossfest will remember when I did an
emergency replacement in the tech area)
After I got home I replaced everything with new.  New pressure plate, new
disk, and new release bearing.  I refilled the tranny (Borg Warner Super
T5) with synthetic Automatic fluid (automatic is specified for this tranny)
.  I later noticed that the tranny fluid I used was not that which I should
have used for the T5, but I figured that it couldn't hurt it (I may be
wrong) and since it was in there and such a pain to replace I haven't
changed it.
Now for the problem as it were.
The clutch operates fine at all times EXCEPT, and this is the only
exception, when I have operated the car for any length of time to
sufficiently warm everything well, shut the vehicle off for a short time
(say to go into a store, buy something, come back out)  Start the car and
try to put it in gear.  Now with the fuel injection when it starts
initially it revs to about 1800 rpm for about 10 or so seconds then slowly
drops to the required 800-900 RPM for idle.  During this AND ONLY THIS time
I cannot shift into any gear.  It is as if the clutch is not releasing.
After the RPM's drop I can select and change gears as usual.  I cant figure
it out, and all I can fathom is that the input shaft bushing (bronze in the
flywheel) lubrication is heat soaking and sticking causing the input shaft
to rotate at sufficient speed to preclude the inertia of the friction disk
from releasing BUT I AM AT A LOSS to figure out why this is occurring.
After I can shift when the RPM's drop I can then shift normally (that means
at elevated RPM for the duration of the trip (or until I do a similar stop)
Any ideas??  Maybe the wrong fluid is causing problems with the synchros
(carbon fiber?) swelling?? Any thoughts before I tear this thing apart AGAIN!!

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)