Re: union-jack

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: union-jack
From: Dean Rayner <deanr@saville.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:40:38 +0100
>Listers, why is the Brit flag called a = Union-Jack =, I had this asked of
>me this a.m. and had no answer, but, sure would like to know.  "FT"

The correct name is the Union Flag.  It is the flag which represents
the union of England (St George's cross) Scotland (St David's cross)
and Ireland (St Patrick's cross).

It is technically incorrect to refer to it as the Union JACK, unless
it is being flown from the JACKstaff (part of the mast) on a ship.

Until 1977, (The Queens Silver Jubilee) it was incorrect etiquette to
fly this flag outside your own house. (You were not entitled to!!)
The maximum fine was 2000 UKPounds.

That was possibly more than you needed to know!!

Dean Rayner,   (Who, like Dean Dashwood, also teaches a youth band!)