Dual Carb Project Finished!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dual Carb Project Finished!
From: "Mike Perry" <mikep@michindust.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:16:46 -0400
A general observation on the dual HS4 changeover from my old single
ZS....this changed the road personality of the car!  The handling is much
improved, as now the car can push into a turn, as oposed to "floating" in
without the power to help get out.

Here's what I ended up with.  Perhaps someone can tell me if I have
committed some cardinal carb sin that will doom my poor little car a few
miles down the road:

1 - Hooked a "vent line" on the first carb's fuel bowl.  This prevented gas
from pouring out of the carb when the engine was shut down.

2 - Synced the carbs to the point that they idle around 650-700 rpms by ear
and eye...my unisyn did not arrive in time for the weekend.  Adjusted the
mixture by ear, using the lifting pin/listen for rpm change method.

3 - Could not get rid of a vacuum leak with the crankcase vent tube from the
valve cover hooked to the carbs.  Gave up.  Plugged both ports and ran a
line from the valve cover to the charcoal canister.  Discovered positive
crancase pressure was pushing oil out of the dipstick tube, so I am on my
way to the parts store to fit a crankcase breather on top of my charcoal
canister before I discover more new and interesting places to push oil
through.

4 - Cooked chicken on the grill, and drank many beers while admiring my
little british car as the sun went down!

Number 3 is my primary concern...any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
72 Spit...running like it never ran before!