Re: Remove undercoating

To: "Walt Fogle" <foglew@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Remove undercoating
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:20:53 -0400
Walt Fogle asked
> There is undercoating on the bulkhead and L & R valances that is covering
up
> original paint in very good condition.  Since I'm not doing a frame-off
> (just yet) I'd like to remove the undercoating without damaging the paint

> underneath.  Does anyone have any suggestions for softening and removing
> this gunk?
>
> I have scraped some of the undercoating off in it's thickets parts with a

> plastic putty knife but still need to completely remove it.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Walt Fogle
> '73 Spitfire 1500
I did this on my 67 TR4A that was also coated all over the inside of the
engine compartment (Inner fenders, wheel arches, bulkhead etc.). I used a
B&D Heat gun to soften up the goop, scraped it off with a series of plastic
wipers, knives, etc. and then wiped out the remaining bits with paint
thinners. Just be careful, the goop gets very hot and could flame if you
are not careful and NEVER work with the thinners and the heat gun at the
same time.

Cheers
Keith