Carb questions (General choke and Stromberg)

To: "'Spitfires@autox.team.net'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Carb questions (General choke and Stromberg)
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 11:04:37 -0500
Howdy,

With the help of a fellow Spitter, I was able to get my carb working
again!
(Thanks Eric Y.) If only I'd have followed the Haynes in the first
place.
It turns out you can't just slap a new autochoke onto the carb. DUH!

Anyway, what RPM should the choke hold when cold?
My RPM's when the choke is not engaged is almost perfect (between 800
and 1000, somewhere)

Second, for any of you ZS fools like me out there...why doesn't my
autochoke disengage? I have a hose to the choke inlet from cooling
system which needs replacing and that's to be done. It dribbles only a
little, but I'm thinking it may be reducing the pressure needed to force
the water through the choke (and the heater as well. the heat is kind of
weak)

I'll be waiting for responses like, "Here is how to disengage a ZS
autochoke: BUY A WEBER!" or "Buy a manual choke and convert!" - Thanks,
but right now, it's not an option for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Vic

My philosophy is turning. I think, even though some things are a pain on
these cars, with the proper understanding, approach, tools and patience
- everything will work as advertised (or as new).